Pregnancy is the 40 weeks period from the last menstrual period till the child’s birth. In this tenure of approximately nine months, the offspring (it can be more than one in some cases of multiple pregnancy) develops inside the womb of a woman.
The early symptoms of conception and pregnancy may include missed periods, tender breasts, nausea and vomiting etc.In case one has a missed period and seeany other symptoms, then it is sensible to confirm the notion with a pregnancy test.
A Self-Pregnancy Test can be done by checking one’s urine for HCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin). The hormone HCG is released when a fertilized egg attaches itself to the lining of the uterus.
Steps for Self-Pregnancy Test with Urine:
- Take a note of the First Day of your last period and calculate the date of next menstrual period accordingly. This is calculated using the first day of your last period.
- Find out the Start Date of this period by taking the average number of cycle days or by counting 28 days forward. Most usually, this may range from 28 to 35 days.
- Test after you have missed your periods but testing too early may get you a false negative test. Hence you may wait for about 10 days beyond period due date to have more accurate results.
- There is a wide range of options available for test but choosing a reputed test is preferred. If you are nervous, you may even prefer to opt for digital output with PREGNANT or NOT PREGNANT clearly displayed on the screen.
- It is best to buy multiple test kits since majority people try a retest to be sure. This will save you time and money of visiting the store again.
- Take precaution while opening the test kit since touching the activation tab may spoil the kit.
- The preferred time to test is with the morning urine which is more concentrated. This increases the probability of accuracy of result.
- Read the instructions on the kit to avoid unnecessary stress. Digital results anyways are much easier to comprehend.
- The type of test may be either stream test or dip test, wherein you either hold the stick under the urine stream for at least three seconds or collect the urine in a container and then dip the reactive end of the strip for results.
- Set the time duration on a mobile so that you know how long to sit and then read the test immediately. Reading it after a long while may give a false positive result.
- The test should get you the clear result of positive or negative pregnancy. In case the positive indication is too light, do the retest with first urination next morning.
- Once you have the positive result with this test, it is recommended to visit an obstetrician and have it verified.
These steps should be help in eliminating any false negatives or positives to a large extent.