High Risk Pregnancy sounds quite critical and it may be life threatening for both the baby and the mother. If you are having a high-risk pregnancy, it connotes that you and your baby are more prone to health issues during the time of pregnancy and delivery and these effects may even be seen beyond that in life. The health issues may vary from minor problems to high risk conditions.
The Cause of High-Risk Pregnancy
Complications can arise at any point before or during the pregnancy. Good nutrition, healthy lifestyle and proper medical treatment are the measures which help in avoiding the risk during pregnancy. Yet, there are some conditions which may occur before you becoming pregnant leading to high-risk pregnancy. Some of those causes are:
- The age of mother
- Overweight or underweight
- Past history of complication during pregnancy
- Already existing diseases like High blood pressure, diabetes etc.
- Preeclampsia is a condition where the occurrence of high blood pressure, change in levels of urinary protein and liver enzymes may lead to an effect on kidneys, liver and brain. However proper treatment can make it possible for pregnant women with Preeclampsia to deliver healthy babies. A more intense form of preeclampsia, eclampsia may even cause seizures and coma in the expectant mother.
- HIV/AIDS is the disorder which may even be transferred to the babies during pregnancy. This may occur either while giving birth or during the process of breastfeeding. This disease is powerful enough to damage the cells responsible for your immunity and may become a cause for certain cancers.
- Gestational diabetes is a type of diabetes which occur only in pregnant women. It is that type of diabetes which occurs only during your pregnancy and did not exist before your pregnancy.
Ways to cope with High-Risk Pregnancy
The risk may persist but the under mentioned tips will help you find ways to cope and reduce the risk that is exposed to the said pregnancy.
Attention on Health:
One can incorporate simple steps in life which definitely help in reducing the intensity of the risk. These simple measures may include routine appointments with doctor, getting the suggested tests done on time and discuss the reports with the doctor, ensuring proper medication routine as prescribed and reach out to doctor with clarifications as and when required.
Healthy nutritious food: Each pregnant woman should eat plenty of healthy foods including eggs, oatmeal and apples. In case you have low levels of iron, you should consult your doctor to get a prescription.
Stay hydrated: Pay attention to your water intake and consume sufficient quantity of water as part of your daily routine.
Awareness: Despite having the family and loved ones around to take due care of you in this stage of pregnancy, it is very essential that you yourself are aware of the signs or symptoms so that you can seek right care in case of any emergency.
Exercise adequately: There are times when your doctor may advise you not to do any exercise. Otherwise, it is very important to do regular exercise during pregnancy. Walking remains an extremely efficient way of exercising. You may seek your doctor’s consultation to know the types of exercises which are safe and appropriate for you.
Join Some Classes: Knowing that you have a high-risk pregnancy, you can enroll yourself into special classes where you get adequate information about dealing with the risks and the kind of caution that can be observed.
Family Support: Share with your partner, family and friends about the risk you are concerned with in the context of your pregnancy. They should be aware that you presume this period to be a stressful time and why you don’t find this to be easy. Clearly explain to them the kind of support you are expecting from them.
Living Stress-Free: Pregnancy is usually associated with hormonal changes as well. And, when you are having a high-risk pregnancy, you should definitely take certain actions which give you ways to release your stress and be stress-free. Taking time out for oneself and spending time relaxing and meditating are some great stress busters.
Interact with women having similar experience: You may join a group of high-risk pregnancy women in your area. You may also like to get in touch with those women who had faced some complications or had dealt with high-risk pregnancy. Their personal sharing will give you courage and confidence to pass this face with reduced stress. This will also serve like pre-preparation of getting ways to handle the child birth.
Know the symptoms: During meetings with your gynecologist specialist, you should seek guidance on your medical conditions and the specific signs which can be looked for in your case to know that it’s time for doctor’s consultation.
Motherhood is a wonderful experience, enjoy instead of being stressed!